Sunday, June 10, 2007

Fifth day, and my only goal was getting the engine on its mounts. After racking my brain to get this accomplished the day before by myself, I decided to ask for help. I had a friend come over to handle the transmission from underneath the car.

My biggest problem was that I was having trouble getting the motor mounts to move back far enough. If I pushed the engine back, the intake manifold and valve cover hit the firewall. The reason for this was that the entire engine/tranny was tipped too far with the engine up and the tranny down. This caused the motor mounts to rotate forward, and the intake/valve cover backward.

On top of that, the mounts I had connected to with chains to lift the engine caused a downward rotation of the engine on the passenger side.

Solution: I needed to push the transmission up, while lowering the engine, and twist the engine clockwise (looking at it from the front). All of this theoretically needed to happen at the same time. This is exactly what we tried to do. In addition to this action, here are a few more tips. We mounted the motor mounts to the engine, and dropped them into the holes in the frame. We started with the passenger side mount, put a bolt on just enough to keep it from coming out but still allowing some play, then did the driver side. At this time I have not mounted the transmission, so no info on that yet.

No comments: